What was happening in the world when T95 turned 25?
- www.Whitehouse.com was no longer a pornographic website
- www.thefacebook.com is launched
- Ashlee Simpson caught lip-syncing on SNL (then did that weird jig)
- Ken Jennings won 74 times on Jeopardy, and more than $2 million
- ComCast tried a hostile takeover of the Walt Disney Company for a measly $54 billion
- LiveStrong Yellow Silicon Bracelets were HUGE in support of cyclist Lance Armstrong (oops!?)
- George W. Bush is Time Magazine’s “Man of the Year” (elected for a second term, defeating John Kerry)
- “Supersize Me” documentary by Morgan Spurlock is released. He gained 25 pounds in 30 days, and it took him more than a year to lose the weight.
- Comic Book character Deadpool, described himself as a cross of “Ryan Reynolds and a Shar-Pei.” (Foreshadowing?)
- Barbie and Ken broke up, but later reunited in 2006. (Don’t ask us why this was actual news, we just repeat the stuff.)
- 2004 Summer Olympics (Greece) – Michael Phelps… that is all.
- World Series Champs – Boston Red Sox (The Curse of the Bambino officially ends. First title since 1918.)
- Super Bowl Champions – New England Patriots defeat the Carolina Panthers 32-29, but no one remembers the game. This was the year of Jane Jackson’s infamous “Nipplegate”
- NBA Champions – Detroit Pistons
- Stanley Cup Champions – Tampa Bay Lightning
- NCAA Football Champions – USC (Vacated in 2011 after an NCAA Investigation proved Reggie Bush had received gifts from agents before relinquishing his amateur status.)
- NCAAM Basketball Champions – UConn (2) defeats Georgia Tech (3) 82-73 to get their second title.
- Napoleon Dynamite – Had a budget of $400,000. John Heder was only paid $1,000 for the role. It has grossed nearly $45 million
- White Chicks – Nominated for a record FIVE Razzies and listed as the #1 worst movie of 2004
- The Passion of the Christ – Directed by Mel Gibson… who is totally not anti-Semitic.
- National Treasure – One of Nic Cage’s LEAST crazy roles ever
- The Incredibles – And we had to wait 14 years for the sequel!
- South Park airs controversial “Trapped in a Closet” episode, mocking the Church of Scientology, who subsequently launched an investigation into show creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone.
- William Hung lost his audition on American Idol, but won our hearts (Simon was such a d**k)
- Super Bowl Halftime – “Nipplegate” and the first mention of “Wardrobe Malfunction”
- An Earthquake in the Indian Ocean registered a 9.0 on the Richter Scale on December 26th. The resulting tsunamis affected more than a dozen countries and were responsible for more than 300,000 deaths. It is also believed the earthquake was so strong, it shortened Earth’s rotation by 2.68 milliseconds.
- The U.S. lands “Spirit” rover on Mars in January, and makes a software patch/repair in February to continue operation.
- Hurricane Charley makes landfall in Florida, Jamaica and Cuba, killing at least 18
- The Statue of Liberty is re-opened after renovations
- Old Dirty Bastard
- Ronald Raegan
- Rodney Dangerfield
- Marlon Brando
- Julia Child
- Christopher Reeve
- Ray Charles
- Johnny Ramone
- Yasser Arafat
- Reggie White
- Arthur Kane
- Rick James
- Dimebag Darrell
- Bob “Captain Kangaroo” Keeshan
- Raymond “Ray” W. Traylor Jr. aka. “Big Boss Man”
- Pat Tillman
- Victor Cruz (MLB)